Part 16: Easter.

“Do not abandon yourselves to despair. We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song.”
Pope John Paul II

While I had been down in the county Kimberley Bradley had called me to offer me another film job. I explained to her what was going on with Dad and she was very understanding. She told me to let her know when I was back and ready to work.

Now, I can’t recall if I called her and the job was gone (most work on film is time sensitive, the shoots are hectic and quick and they need people when they need them), or if I decided I needed to be on-call for Mom and Dad in case anything happened. I was still working at the St. Lawrence Centre so I had another source of income. Things are blurry there.

Jordy was teaching piano at the Classical Music Conservatory, at this point. Her boss, and the music school’s owner, was Lusiana Lukman, who is also a very talented musician, artist and composer.

One day after work Jordy came home and said that Lusiana was looking into producing a film. She was reading scripts, had all ready gone through many, but hadn’t found one that she believed in.

Jordy mentioned to her that her fiancé was a screenwriter.

Lusiana told Jordy that she should bring in one of mine.

Jordy asked me if I wanted to?

True to form, I said, “Sure.”

I sent Lavender.

Lusiana read it and contacted me, immediately.

She wanted to option it.

An option is when the producer buys the “exclusive right” to purchase the screenplay at some point in the future. A time limit is set on the length of the time, in this case it was a year. That allows the producer time to get funding and if they can’t the screenplay ownership reverts in full back to the screenwriter so that he/she is free to market it elsewhere.

Lusiana and I meet, hit it off, and made a verbal agreement. She was going to do up the paperwork.

It was just before Easter weekend.

Mom and Dad came to Toronto, by train (Via Rail), on Good Friday.

It was during the SARS crisis, which concerned Mom and Dad’s neighbours. Living in Toronto we knew that the reality of the situation and how it was portrayed on the news (which made the city look like something out of the film Outbreak), was quite different. It was, of course, safe for them to visit.

Jord and I picked them up at Union Station. We went to little Italy for the Good Friday procession. I knew Dad wouldn’t be able to watch it, all the standing around and the crowds would be too much.

I said that he and I could wait in a café that I thought he’d like.

“Okay,” he said. “But I won’t eat. I don’t have much of an appetite.”

The café I had chosen was the Sicilian Sidewalk Café, an ice cream parlour. Dad had a massive sweet tooth.

He ordered a large sundae and finished the entire thing in record time.

“I thought you weren’t hungry?” I said, jokingly.

“It’s ice cream,” Dad said. “Ice cream doesn’t count.”

We went to the house after that.

Jord and I slept on the couch and Mom and Dad took the bedroom. The next day was Dad’s birthday. Jordy had to work so I took Mom and Dad to the local Irish pub, Whelan’s Gate, for breakfast.

What Mom and Dad didn’t know is that Trish had flown over from England to surprise them.

We sat upstairs. Trish wasn’t there yet. My phone rang and I excused myself from the table thinking it was her.

It was Lusiana. She had the contract drawn up and wanted to know when we could meet.

“Tuesday, okay?” I asked, as Trish entered the pub.

I indicated to Trish to wait while I worked out the details with Lusiana.

Then we proceeded up the stairs.

Mommy saw Trish first and reacted with shock, Dad saw Mom’s reaction before seeing Trish and wondered who on earth Mom knew in Toronto that could get such a reaction out of her.

Mom later said that she thought for a minute that we were in England—because that would be the most logical concussion to draw.

That night Jordy’s parents took Mom, Dad, Jord and I out to a place called Bill’s Pit. I suggested it because I knew Jordy’s family loved the place and Dad loved ribs—this place had awesome ribs. Once again, Dad ate well.

It was the first time that Mom and Dad met Jord’s parents as well as her grandparent’s and sister. A good time was had by all.

The next day, Easter Sunday, when went to Bathhurst United Church, where Jordy was the music director and choirmaster. Mom and Dad got to see her at work, which they both enjoyed immensely. Mom used to sing in the church choir herself and sang at many weddings.

Later we at toured possible wedding venues, I wanted Dad to be a part of it.

We were later joined by Trish and we all had Easter dinner at Jordy’s parent’s house.

It went very well, also.

Mom and Dad headed back on the Easter Monday, the 21st.

Lusiana and I met up on the 22nd.

We signed the contract.

I was, officially, a professional screenwriter.

There was much work to be done.

This entry was posted in 'Lavender' Seed to Screen: One Writer's Journey. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *